Roman Nose.  Wo-uh-hun-nih.
Cheyenne Ft. Marion POW
Went to Hampton: Roman Nose, Henry,  Age 26 at arrival Apr 1878.  Jun 1879 Removal to Carlisle, Married.

Joy Fisher Hampton Notes

Minor artist. Henry Roman Nose; Went to Lee. Mass. then to Carlisle, learned tinning; died June 1917 on Cohoe allotment, mentioned in Prof. Himes' experiment at Dickinson College.

Fear-Segal notes from Plains Indian Art.....

(23) Wo-ke-mie/Roman Nose; 1 man, 1 woman, total 2; 

Text Copyright (c) John L. Sipes 2004 Sipes/Berthrong Cheyenne Collections. Fort Marion and Darlington Agency, Indian Territory Sections, File Numbers 42-56. Enrollment of Cheyenne and Arapahoe Tribe of Indians at the Agency. (This census shows native name, English interpretation, number of men, women and children in the family with the total in family. Notation at end of this Cheyenne census states: "I certify on honor that the foregoing is a full correct and complete list of Cheyenne Indians - and those only - at the Cheyenne and Arapahoe Agency, Indian Territory, who are entitled to subsistance. (S)" Jon D. Miles, U.S. Indian Agent, Cheyenne and Arapahoe Agency, I.T., March 1st, 1878.

SCHOOL NEWS, Volume 1, No. 1, page 1. June 1880.


  When I was ten years old in Indian Territory, I commenced to kill buffalo calves, shooting them with bow and arrows, and then when I grew up about fourteen years old, I had killed big buffalo good many.
  One day that time I killed about seven buffaloes.
  At my old home in Indian Territory I would go out and search for birds and when I had found them I shot them with bow and arrows, I had to kill many of them.  When I was a little boy I would like swimming very much and I had to catch a great many turtles in the water; that time I was very glad to catch it and we good to eat the turtles.  When I was 13 years old my father he took me to war against the Pawnees, I was sick and I could not sleep every night but every day I anxious to go back home in Indian camp.
p. 3

- Roman Nose and Koba are learning to make tin cups.  They can not only make cups but other things too.
  They can make pails and pans.  They are the best tinners among the boys.

  Volume 1, No. 4, p.1
  September 1880,


  I had a pleasant visit to New York.
  I was very much delighted to see my friends in New York and Tarrytown.  The people, they were very glad to see me also.  I stayed out there about ten days.  I had a very jolly time.  In those days I traveled very much in New York and I saw a great many beautiful things, the houses and every thing.  New York is a very good city, very handsome.  I like it very much. O I forgot to tell what I saw there.  I went to the top of the Equitable Life Insurance building on Broadway, I went upon an elevator.  I saw three cities, New York, New Jersey and Brooklyn.  The top of building was nearly two hundred feet above the ground.  Then I went to the aquarium, I saw a great many strange kind of fish, we call them spotted codlings Lake Dog, gar pine long nose, spot and lake cat fish very bid, Gold and silver fish, winkle, Spotted sole, crabs, ___fish looks like frog, Spider crab, crab lively, Rock fish, Turtles, alligators and monkeys.
  I can not tell all that I saw in New York City, because I do not understood how to spell and call them.  When I returned here I was glad to see my Indian friends of different tribes in this Indian Training School at Carlisle Barracks.  I went to camp at the Warm Springs and stayed a week, we had a very nice time at the camp in the woods.  The Indian boys are making bows and arrows every day, and shooting with bows and arrows very much.  Capt. Pratt told me that he would allow me to go to Indian Territory and see my old relations.  I will stay there two or three weeks with my family and friends.  Then I will come back again to Carlisle Barracks and stay here a few more years.  I go to school here and acquainted some things each day.  I am very anxious to learn my Bible.  I will always try to work and learn something every day.  When I get through school adn work then I will return to my old home in Indian Territory.  When I get there I think maybe I will help all my Indian people and teach them about the good way of the white man road and to love God, they will pray for him to make good Indian men and women.  I will teach the Indians what I have learned at school and I will teach them how to work in teh white man's ways.  I like tin-smith shop very much and I want to learn well how to make tin cups, brackets, [illegible].

  October 1880 SCHOOL NEWS,
  Volume 1, No. 5, p. 1

  August 2nd I went out west to the Indian Territory.  First I arrived at Harrisburg and found cars for Pittsburg and I got there in teh night about twelve o'clock.  I change cars again and went to Indianapolis.  I arrived at Indianapolis in teh morning about twelve o'clock and stop there a few minutes.  Then they went to St. Louis the cars go very fast.  I arrived at St. Louis in teh night about at nine o'clock and change cars again.  I got out there and I looked for the cars from Kansas City.  I found them and I went in, and went to Kansas City.  I arrived there at nine o'clock in the morning, change cars again I went out and I found cars going to Wichita and Wellington.  I arrived at Wellington half past three o'clock in the morning and stayed in teh depot all night.  Then in teh morning I went to Wellington and I told a man that I wished a stage to go to Cheyenne Agency, Indian Territory the man said they had no stage this time to go to Cheyenne agency.  Then I went back again in depot and stayed there five hours train came I went in the cars to Caldwell, I got there at one and half P.M.  I saw a good many of the Cheyenne young men and women in Caldwell adn I was very much delighted to see them I did not know any of them because I have not seen them for five years.  I stopped in Caldwell a few minutes with the Cheyenne young men and they spoke tome where I was going I told them that I was going to Cheyenne and Arapahoe agency.  Then after I was through, I took mail wagon to Cheyenne Agency, Darlington.
  I had arrived at Cheyenne and Arapahoe agency at ten o'clock A.M. I was very much pleased to see my father brothers and sisters and uncles cousins and all my relatives, also they were very happy to see me.  I staid in Darlington three weeks I rode my horse every day and I traveled all around the Indian camps when I stayed there I was very tired.  All the Cheyenne chiefs and young men, I spoke to them about the good ways of the whites.  I told them all about the Indian children at Carlisle Barracks, Pa.  I told them what they had learned here at school and at work all the Cheyenne chiefs were very glad to hear that Capt. Pratt has taken good care of the Indian children here.  All the Cheyenne chiefs and Arapahoe chiefs they thought Capt. Pratt a great and good man.  I told them Capt Pratt is great man and I know his heart is true and faithful.  I asked all
   (Continued on fourth page)
the chiefs for the children to come here to Carlisle school.  The North Cheyenne do not want to send the children to school here.  But some Cheyenne and Arapahoe kind to me and gave me twenty-one Cheyenne children and ten Arapahoe children to bring to this school.  If I did not go down to Cheyenne agency, John D. Miles could not get the children to bring to Carlisle Barracks, some Cheyenne do not wan their children to come here to school  September sixth I came back here. I was very glad to see Carlisle Barracks and all my friends the white people and different tribes of the Indian children.  Under instruction of Mr. Curtin who will try very hard to teach me to make tinware as soon as possible.  I will then go home and open a business for my self at Indian Territory and prove to the Indians or to those opposed to Indian advancement that Capt. Pratt and his Training school has accomplished more with proper encouragement and interest from those who are or ought to be most deeply interested.

Volume III, No. 10.

     Henry Roman Nose left last week for Carlisle.  When at school there, he commenced the tinner's trade, but not having completed it, he felt incompetent of taking charge of a shop.  The tools are in the commisary ready for use when he returns.  The day he left he sent his little nephew, aged five, to the school with a note asking that he be cared for while he was away.
   Henry has arrived, having made a trip by rail more than half way across the continent alone.  A Sunday School at Edgewater on Staten Island gave the money for his fare, and a good Carlisle friend in Phila. gives the means to help on the slender allowances of Government, if need be, when he goes back in the fall to begin with his shop.  Henry has taken hold of work in our shops with a will, and seems to have lost none of his skill to make pans, pails, cups, etc.

January 10, 1990 INDIAN HELPER

Roman Nose want to start a tin-shop at Cantonment, Indian Territory. We trust he will be able to get all the tin he needs to do it.

   Henry C. Roman Nose, one of the Florida prisoners, from Cheyenne Agency, who came to Carlisle when the school first opened in 1879, and remained two years, says he lives in a square tent covered with duck. It is his own. He has never worn Indian dress since he went back, and is now serving the Government as tinner, the trade he learned at Carlisle. He receives $20 a month.

June 1890 THE RED MAN, p. 3.

June 1912 RED MAN:

HENRY ROMAN NOSE, writes from Bickford, Oklahoma, that he will not be able to attend commencement and sends greetings. Henry is one of the first lndian young men who came to the Carlisle school. He is one of the prisoners taken to Florida, then to Hampton, and finally to Carlisle.

C&A Letter Books, Vol. 24:396. Williams to A.H. Todd, Salt Creek, I.T., May 28, 1887.
Complaint that Todd holding cattle on reservation for outside parties and he is the additional farmer for the Indians there. Been in trouble with Roman Nose, Indian policeman, and acting in violent manner threatening to shoot said policeman. Immediate explanation needed.

Text Copyright (c) 2004 Sipes/Berthrong Collections.  Cattlemen and Trespassing on Reservation.

C&A. Letterbooks, Cantonment, Vol. 1:182-184. Wm. M. Pulling to C.F. Ashley, 
Oct. 5, 1892.
...schools filled to over 70 pupils in attendance. The Cheyennes came in 
large numbers for a talk with me. 5 Companies of "Dog Soldiers" being 
present a part of whom came mounted and drawn up in line firing Winchesters 
into the air( in demonstration of joy, I suppose). Among their first 
questions was, " Are you afraid?" I said "No". Short speeches were made by 
No-com-is-tah, Red Lodge, Whirlwind, Little Medicine, Little Big Jake, 
Howling Wolf, Little Man, Medicine Crazy, Roman Nose Thunder, Left Hand 
Woman, White Horse, Man-on-Cloud, and Star. The burden of which was 
self-praise for their conduct, request for a feast, and to ask that beef 
issues be made weekly hereafter( in recognition, I suppose, of their 
distinqished favors, they ask me to write their speeches.....I gave them a 
small feast from the commissary and will send a copy of the speeches later. 
Some of the whites think I need not have received them in council. There was 
no real use, but for peaces sake I listened patiently, and they went away 
pleased. I believe that all the new scholars reside in the Sub-Agency.

John Sipes.

1892, Census of C&A, June 30th, 1892, shows # 1073 Carrie Roman Nose, daughter of White Man and Row Standing.
# 1087 shows David Pendleton Jr., son of Little Medicine, 49, and White Buffalo, 41.

Sipes Cheyenne Files, Boarding School Section, Carlisle Indian School. Text Copyright (c) John L. Sipe  2005.

C&A Land Sales.
Henry Roman Nose, (undersigned Cheyenne Chief), Hitchcock, Oklahoma Territory.
Oct. 9, 1903 to B.E. White.
I let you know sell lands may father wants one quater to sell. You know one time I had been told you about. N/W 1/4 sec. 8 tp 17 rg. 11 the name Walter Roman Nose. My father Shot Nose is here now and I want one of your man to come to my place and bring papers for the sell lands and my father let him sign and I sign too. My father he too old and he sick not able to come to Cantonment and sign for the sell land. Please send one of your man and bring the papers for the sale of the land so my father he will sign and I sign too. My wife and I have not been well and they are very weak.
Please answer soon.
faithfully your friend
Henry Roman Nose (Cheyenne Chief)

Text Copyright (c) 2004 John Sipe Ft. Marion POW Files on Returned Prisoners.

U.S. Dept. of Interior
Office of Indian Affairs
Washington D.C.
Education- Administration Circular #401, March 12, 1910.
To All Indian Superintendents
"Report and statistics on returned students that attended non-reservation schools in so far as the success or failure is concerned."
Carlisle, Pennsylvania. (Name and Occupation Shown Below)
Ernie Black, works by the day and has sold his land.
Harvey White Shield, looks after his own business and rents his land for a share of the crop.
Joe Pawnee, none at present. 
William Abe Somers, none.
Alfred Brown,none.
Charles DeBrae, farmer.
Henry Roman Nose, none.
Cohoe, none.
James Hamilton, none.
(The above Cheyennes)
Arapahoes: Comanche, none; Phillip Rabbit, none; John H. Williams, none, has sold his land; Francis Lee, none; Dan Tucker, none; Cleaver Warden, farmer; Tom Carlisle, none; Howling Wolf, none, (Cheyenne).

Text Copyright (c) 2004 Sipe/Berthrong Cheyenne Collections. Boarding School Sec. - Returned Students.

Clinton Chronicle, July 8, 1910.
Carpenters have finished up three modern houses for Cheyennes living east of Clinton. The homes belong to Roman Nose (not the POW Roman Nose), Standing Bird, and Buffalo Thigh.

Text Copyright (c) 2004 Sipes/Berthrong Cheyenne Collections. Newspaper Exerpts, Clinton Chronicle.

Cheyenne and Arapaho Delegation regarding Black Hills Claims.
Blaine Roman Nose,male,died 4-3-1921,next of kin, Laird Cometsevah,father.

Births and Deaths of C&As (no name of vol. pages only shown)
Text Copyright (c) 2003 Ruby Bushyhead compiled by John Sipes.

Colony Courier, June 17, 1915.

Henry Roman Nose and his wife Standing Roman Nose from Salt Creek north of Watonga were around Colony visiting friends. Henry is well noted around Watonga and Cantonment.

Text Copyright (c) 2003 John Sipes. 

C&A Letterbooks, Vol. 94:74-75. A.E. Woodson to Comm. of Ind. Affairs, Aug. 2,1899.

--quotes from letter of Geo. E. Coleman stating that Henry Roman Nose as being one of the parties resisting the government program- one of the chiefs and therefore followed. Was a prisoner at Florida. Witholding his rations doing some good.

Sipes/Berthrong Cheyenne Coll. Newspaper Inklings, Copyright (c) 2003.

Arvil Prairie Chief (female), her Cheyenne name is Bear Woman or Nah-ka-et after Jennie Washa Flying Out, and Phillip Prairie Chief (male), his Cheyenne name is Red Paint or Ma-eh-dum.
Mother is Imogene Black Bear (great-great grand daug. of Henry Roman Nose, POW).
Father is George Prairie Chief, Jr. His father and mother are George Prairie Chief, Sr. , (great grandson of Grey Beard) and mother is Glodie Washa ( extended family of Old Bull Bear) and her mother was Jennie Washa Flying Out.

Text Copyright (c) 2004 John Sipes Cheyenne Family Files.

Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Indian Service, Field Journal Voucher No. 51.
(To transfer the proceeds of the sale of the Old Woman allotment to the accounts of her heirs, LS 39777-26)
September 22, 1926, Seger Indian Agency, Colony, Oklahoma.
Heirs: Bear Woman (Dirty Nose), Jane Big Smoke, Willie Bear Shield, Alfred Bear Shield, Peairs Ground Nose, Lizzie Good Bear, Killing Woman, Little Woman Magpie, Looks Behind, Standing (Roman Nose) First cousin to Measure Woman Standing Bird, daughter of Medicine Water and Mochi POWs, and Standing is wife of Henry Roman Nose, POW, Two Hawks, Turkey Legs, Clara Winona Turkey Legs, Nancy Tall Bird, William Tall Bird, Vetcora (Vetcora was married to Bird Chief, brother of Standing Bird, son-in-law of Medicine Water), Wooly Dog.

Text Copyright (c) 2005 Sipes/Berthrong Cheyenne Collections. Ft. Marion POWs Files and Estates Files.